Round 1: January 15 - March 1 each year
Round 2: April 1 - May 1 each year
The prize is open to all NWSA members working on a first or second book in women’s histories, queer histories, people of colour histories and reclamations of non-western world heritage and cultures.
About the Routledge series: Books in the Subversive Histories, Feminist Futures series will exemplify original research in feminist histories that “subvert” dominant and normative patterns of historical narrative by centering women, gender, and feminist politics. This exciting series will delve into women’s histories, queer histories, people of colour histories and reclamations of non-western world heritage and cultures via monographs, edited volumes, and supplementary texts. The series aims to utilize intersectional historical analyses to revitalize scholarship in women’s, gender, and sexuality studies.
Basic Guidelines for Round 1 (January 15 - March 1)
- Current NWSA individual membership (including co-authors)
- Book considered must be unpublished and not under contract
- Must complete the online application including:
- Cover letter (be sure to indicate if any material from the manuscript has been previously published)
- Proposal, including a 4-5 page overview of the scope of the project
- One (1) chapter
Basic Guidelines for Round 2 (April 1 - May 1)
Semi-finalists will be contacted by April 1st. Please be prepared for the following:
- Three (3) chapters.
- Finalist will be chosen by August. Full manuscript will go through Routledge's review at that time.
The winner will be announced at NWSA's annual conference and will receive a $1,000 advance ($500 from NWSA and $500 from Routledge). All submissions must be exclusive submissions to Routledge for the duration of the contest. If a winner of the competition is selected, they will receive a publication contract with Routledge. Runners up may also be considered for publication with the Routledge.